Too often, Indonesia except for the island of Bali is overlooked by visitors as a fabulous destination in South East Asia. It has countless beautiful islands, unique wildlife (such as the Komodo Dragon), impressive volcanoes to be climbed, and some of the best Buddhist and Hindu temples in the region (despite being largely Muslim these days).
So far I’ve only visited Java, Lombok (and the Gili Islands) and cruised to Komodo Island, as well as visiting Bali multiple times. I’d love to return to see Sumatra, Sulawesi and Raja Ampat (where some of the most pristine coral reefs and best diving in the world can be found). Need some more reasons to visit? Check out my various posts on Indonesia, that I’ve collected together below.
One extra note: I wouldn’t recommend that you take your dog with you travelling in Indonesia. As well as a high incidence for malaria and a lot of stray dogs, you can’t directly travel from Indonesia into Australia with a dog, without spending some time first in another approved country. But it makes for a great dog-free holiday!
Not sure what else there is to see in Indonesia apart from Bali? Check out these posts for some ideas.
- 6 Natural Attractions of Indonesia You Can’t Miss – from waterfalls to the underwater world
- Panoramas of Indonesia – a photo essay of some of the amazing views
- Face to Face with Dragons at Komodo – don’t miss this amazing destination
- Yogyakarta Street Art – a photo essay of the vibrant street art scene in the country’s cultural capital
My Bali Tips
After multiple visits, I’m convinced that Bali is a fabulous destination. But the best of this island paradise is found away from its tourist mecca of Kuta and the surrounding south-eastern corner. Don’t miss out on a visit to Ubud, or consider exploring up to the northern coastline.
- 5 Ways to Experience Ubud – the many sides to Ubud
- Serendipity in Ubud – finding the best of Bali in the quiet corners of Ubud
- A Winery Visit on Bali: Hatten Wines – hidden away on Bali’s north shore is a vineyard and winery
- Is a Lovina Dolphin Tour Worth It? – my impressions of the dolphin tours on Bali’s north shore
Travelling in Indonesia has it’s differences from a trip to Europe or the USA. Check out these tips for a smooth trip.
- 7 Things You Have to Pack for Indonesia – your Indonesian packing list basics
- Travelling the Length of Java By Train – train is the best option for getting around Java
- Travelling in Indonesia During Ramadan – practical tips from my last visit during Ramadan
Where to Stay
Accommodation options in Indonesia range from the cheap and basic, to luxury digs. Here are some excellent but affordable choices.
- Hip Stays: Dash Hotel Seminyak – a funky but affordable option in popular Seminyak
- Affordable Luxury: Holiday Resort Lombok – a quality resort option on Lombok